Artichokes are found in the Mediterranean region perennially. It is a type of thistle and the bud which comes at the flower tip before blooming is edible. They are rich in magnesium and vitamin C. They also have calcium, iron and vitamin B6. Artichokes are produced around the Mediterranean basin mainly. Among the European countries Italy is the largest producer of artichokes.
It contains absolutely no saturated fat and no cholesterol. It is rich in proteins and has a high potassium and sodium content. It contains carbohydrates and dietary fibres and sugars. Around 100 grams of artichokes would contain about 47 calories. US is the highest consumer of artichokes. It is also made in to tisane which is also called an artichoke tea. Also it is used to make liqueurs and is used in medicinal purposes too. Artichokes are good for health as they help in curing many chronic digestive issues. It also cures certain liver and gall bladder problems.
It also treats high cholesterol in people. They also lower bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol. They are also rich in antioxidant and help fight against cancer, aging and heart dieases.
- 3 full artichokes
- 1 full lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tablespoons of Olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- A small quantity of oregano as per taste (dried)
- 1 hour approximately
- Preparation time is about 10 minutes
- Cooking time is 50 minutes
- Cut the artichokes in to pieces. Cut of its stem and tip.
- Put olive oil in to the baking vessel or tray.
- Roll the artichokes in oil such that each piece get coated with ample oil. Be generous with the oil.
- Peel and slice lemon pieces and place the slices at the bottom of the baking tray.
- Place each artichoke piece on the lemon slices.
- Cover the baking tray with silver foil and bake it for 50 minutes.
- When done with baking, place it on a plate with the lemon side on the top.
- Now sprinkle some oregano and salt on top.
- This should be served hot
- Before starting to bake preheat the oven to about 350 F degree.
- This would serve 6.
Read this Article in: Français (French)