Green beans are also known as French beans. It is a variety of the common beans. They are grown world over almost. They can be baked, canned, frozen or fresh. They are cooked, steamed, fried or even baked; It can be made in several ways. Beans contain high levels of lectins which may be harmful if they are consumed in uncooked or if they are cooked improperly. 100 grams of beans contain vitamin A, B1, B2, B5, B9, B6, C and K.
It also contains iron, calcium, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, fluoride, sugars and dietary fibres. Beans make it to the world’s healthiest foods.
It provides cardiovascular benefits. Green beans also beta -carotenes, violaxanthin and neoxanthin. Green beans flavonoids also contain kaemferol, catechins, epicatechins, procyanidins and quercetin. There are antioxidants present in green beans. It showsit support a healthy heart and prevents heart diseases.
Most people do not acknowledge the omega 3 fatty acids in beans , however the proportion is quite high when compared to the low calorie content present in green beans as compared to other food items like fish etc. The high quantities of carotenoid and flavonoid give green beans some excellent anti- inflammatory properties.
- 2 lbs of fresh or frozen green beans
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 tbsp mustard Dijon
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tbsp chopped thyme
- 1/3 cup silvered almonds.
Cooking time: Cannot be determined
- Cook the green beans in a big pot with water and salt.
- Till they are crisp but tender for about 5 minutes
- Drain the water and transfer the beans in a large bowl with ice to cool them completely.
- The ice will bring out a beautiful green colour in the beans.
- Drain the water.
- Take butter and melt it in a large skillet, in medium heat.
- Whisk thyme with Dijon mustard and garlic and salt and butter.
- Add the beans to the skillet and toss until the beans are heated through.
- Do this for about 4 minutes
- Serve to a bowl
- Now add almonds and remaining thyme.
- Serves 8
Read this Article in: Français (French)