It is general knowledge that the height of a person increases up to a certain age and then stops. Generally, the height of women increases up to the age of 18 years and for men it increases until the age of 24. The increase in height depends on the production of the hormone known as HGH i.e. Human Growth Hormone. This hormone is produced in the pituitary gland located inside the skull.
The production of this hormone stops after a certain age and thus the increase in height also comes to a halt. After some time, the long bone epiphyses get fused with the cartilage to form solid hard bones which prevent any further growth of these bones. However, any additional hormone secretion may result in height gain.
Can your height be increased after the age of 25 years?
It is usually very difficult to gain height after the age of 25 years because the growth of bones stalls completely at this age. However, it is not impossible. Using the tips and tricks given below, it is possible to add a few inches to your height and appear taller at least to some degree. One point to note is that one should never go for surgeries or hormone therapy for increasing height as they are very harmful to your health and body structure.
Let’s get started!
Healthy Diet and Proper Nutrition
The body needs raw material to product cells in order to increase height. Hence, a healthy and nutritious diet is imperative if you want to gain height. Your body needs to ingest minerals, vitamins, proteins and other nutrients that are essential for tissue growth.
Your diet needs to contain appropriate amounts of phosphorous, calcium, magnesium and iodine as these are essential for proper growth of the body. Avoid consumption of saturated and trans-fats as they are heavy to digest and disturb the natural absorption of other nutrients from the food. The following food items are recommended in order to get your daily dose of amino acids, proteins, calcium and carbohydrates:
- Green leafy vegetables
- Dry fruits and nuts
- Milk and dairy products
- Ripe fruits like bananas and apples
The importance of Calcium in your diet cannot be emphasized enough for overall wellbeing. This component is very important for growth and proper maintenance of cartilages and strong bones.
Thus, milk and dairy products need to an integral part of your diet. In addition to a good, healthy diet one should also drink at least six to eight glasses of plain water to get rid of body toxins.
Vitamin D through Sunlight
Vitamin D is produced under the skin in the presence of sunlight. This vitamin is needed to increase height after 20 years naturally as it has a direct effect on the growth of bones. Adequate exposure to sunlight is very important for a synthesis of vitamin D inside the body. The best way to make sure you get enough exposure to sunlight is to take sunbaths in the early morning or late evenings when the UV radiation is lowest.
Exercise and Stretching
The growth of the body is stimulated during stretching and exercising and hence it is of utmost importance to exercise on a regular basis. Apart from weight training, cardio exercise like swimming and cycling also enable us to increase height. Some exercises to increase height after 20 are given below:
- Lie down on your back and stretch the right foot towards the left foot and then vice versa. After repeating a few rounds, rest the legs in the normal position.
- Bar swinging is a very good method to increase height after 20. Suspend your body from a bar installed at a height of about seven feet and swing yourself to and fro. Remember to keep your back straight during this exercise.
- Stand straight with the feet close to each other without leaving any gap in between them. Slowly lift your hands up to the shoulders while inhaling and hold them in position for a few minutes. Then, move them backward while exhaling at the same time. This exercise improves your posture and thus makes you look taller.
Yoga for increasing height after 20
Yoga is a useful tool for gaining height and maintaining good posture. Yoga can be done in addition to normal exercise and will help not only in increasing height but also overall wellbeing. Yoga postures make the body flexible in addition to stimulating the release of growth hormones.
Let us now look at some beneficial Yoga postures:
1. Tadasana – This asana is also known as the mountain pose. This posture helps increase the length of your spine. Stand with your feet firmly on the ground and keep the spine straight without any bending or slouching. The leg muscles should be kept firm and the face and jaws should be totally relaxed.
2. Bhujangasana – This asana is also known as the cobra pose. Lie down on the ground facing down. Gently press the lower body onto the ground and spread your digits below your shoulders and keep the elbows at the sides. Keeping the lower body stable on the ground, inhale and raise your upper body by lengthening the arms. Ensure that you raise the body only as far as possible while keeping the lower body very stable.
Maintain the posture till a slow count of 15 and then release the posture by lowering the upper body while exhaling at the same time. This posture adds to the length of your spine and thus adds to your overall height.
3. Stretching – Stretching should be an integral part of your daily routine. Stretch your body every day after your bath while the tissues are still warm. Walk for five minutes and gently shake each limb to loosen up and release any tension. The complete body needs to be stretched right from the digits all the way up to the neck. This sequence should be repeated about three to five times.
Proper amounts of sleep is imperative for good height because the growth hormones work on increasing the length of your body parts only during deep sleep. One more important aspect of proper sleep is the correct posture. Adequate amounts of sleep along with properly balanced healthy diet and exercise will enable you to gain a lot of height post 20 years of age. Follow the tips given below to ensure proper sleep:
- Always wear loose comfortable clothes while sleeping
- Turn off all the lights while sleeping
- A warm bath before sleeping will enhance the quality of sleep
- Always use a firm but comfortable mattress
- Practice relaxation and deep breathing before retiring to bed
Even if it is very difficult to increase height after 20, the above-mentioned tips should help you gain at least a few inches if followed properly in a disciplined manner.
Read this Article in: Français (French)