A wheat berry is the entire wheat kernel except the hull. It contains endosperm, germ and bran. They are often added to dishes like salads or even in to baked bread to give that crunchy feel. Whole grain wheat berries have a lot of nutrition benefits. ½ a cup of wheat berry has 111 calories. They have proteins and lots of carbohydrates. They also contain fibres and sodium. They have no cholesterol and very little fat. Wheat berries come in various different textures and colours. Wheat berries help those with diabetes and can lower the risk of heart ailments. They also help in controlling weight and are good for those who are obese. As they are very low in calories and are packed with vitamins and minerals they make for healthy food. It contains all the grain vitamins and minerals as it is the germ itself. It also contains phytochemicals, which are very good for the body.
- 3c. wheat berries
- 1 large onion cubed
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ jalapeno pepper
- 1 and ½ broccoli floweret’s2 cloves of garlic
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup saltless broth
- Some freshly ground pepper
- 3 tbsp fresh herbs
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese freshly grated.
- 3 hours or more.
- Add oil in a skillet
- When the oil is hot add onions and cook until it is translucent.
- Add the garlic and pepper cook till some aroma comes out
- Now add sweet potatoes, white wine and broth.
- Bring to a boil and cover.
- Now reduce the heat and cook until crispy
- Now add corn, broccoli, salt pepper and nutmeg.
- Boil and cover again.
- Simmer the mixture until broccoli is bright green and tender.
- Now add herbs all over.
- Now add the wheat berries
- Boil and reduce the simmer
- Cook for about 3 hours till it is tender and crunchy
- Season with salt and pepper.
- 1/3 cup chopped minced green onion.
Points to be remembered:
- While coking the vegetables, cook the vegetable that take the longest time to cook first.
Read this Article in: Français (French)